| The Division of Gastroenterology, Salisbury Medical Center is seeking a physician with training, and expertise in adult clinical gastroenterology for an appointment with practice location mostly at the Charlotte, NC Health Care Center. |
The ideal candidate will be board certified/eligible in gastroenterology with experience in clinical gastroenterology and experience in performing endoscopic procedures.
The gastroenterologist will function as part of a multidisciplinary team providing comprehensive outpatient services. There will be minimal inpatient care activity associated with this position at the VA.
The incumbent will primarily be based at of the Charlotte Health Care Center location and treat veterans in an outpatient setting in a large multispecialty healthcare center.
The incumbent is expected to perform routine consultations, endoscopic procedures (EGD, colonoscopy), with possibility of also performing motility and PillCam studies if appropriately trained.
The physician will establish professional working relationship with clinical service providers within the medical center and the Community Base Outpatient Clinics (CBOCS) or Healthcare Centers (HCC), providing telephone consultation/triage as needed and screening consults that are received for appropriateness prior to scheduling. On call duties will be rotated among all staff and will include after-hours endoscopy with the requirement to treat acute GI bleeding and foreign body removal.
The candidate will be required to be on site at the hospital within one hour of a call for an urgent clinical need.
Applicants should have leadership skills and motivation to provide oversight of administrative operations, clinical care, and teaching with responsibilities that include the supervision of fellows from Wake Forest University Gastroenterology Fellowship Program.Work schedules may vary depending on the hiring facility.
DESIGNATED DRUG-TESTING POSITION: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
- U.S. citizenship
- English language proficiency
- Physical standards - All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required.
- Licensure and Registration - Current, full,and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States or in the District of Columbia. The Physician must maintain a current registration to continue employment with the VA
- Educational requirements - Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are:
- Schools of medicine holding regular institutional membership in the Association of American Medical Colleges for the year in which the degree was granted.
- Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted.
- Schools (including foreign schools) accepted by the licensing body of a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico), or in the District of Columbia as qualifying for full or unrestricted licensure.
- For residents, graduation from an approved medical school as described above is required.
- First-Year Residency (Internship) - Completed a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was competed. For a VA resident, the appropriate Deans Committee and Resident Review Board may recommend appointment on the basis of the candidate's acceptability for residency training. Approved residencies are:
- Those approved by the Council on Medical Education and Hospitals, American Medical Association, in the list published for the year the residency was completed, OR
- Other residencies or their equivalents which the Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training. The Board may determine that the residency requirement has been met if the candidate has completed 1 year of postgraduate education.
The following requirements for this position are as follows:
- The ideal candidate will be board certified/eligible in gastroenterology with experience in clinical gastroenterology and experience in clinical performing endoscopic procedures.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G2, PHYSICIAN QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated April 15, 2002.
Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by aProfessional Standards Board and Compensation Panel (for physicians and dentists)in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected.The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to bend, stoop, squat, lift up to 50 lbs. Emotional and mental stability.
Veteran's Preference: When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veteransshould claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of DD-214(s) showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.). Additionally, veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more must also submit a copy of their official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying their service-connected disability and/or their receipt of compensation for service-connected disability.
Veterans with service-connected disability of less than 10%, nonservice-connected disability, and Purple Heart recipients, as-well-as those claiming derived preference for a spouse, widow or widower, or natural mother, should refer to and submit a completed SF 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," and required documentation with your application materials. If the military member is within 120 days of separation and does not yet have a DD214, the member may instead submit any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.
For more information on Veterans' Preference, go to http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetsinfo.asp.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1.Completed Online Questionnaire
2.CV or Resume
3.VA Form 10- 2850 - Application For Physicians, Dentist, Podiatrists, and Optometrists (Available at http://www4.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850-fill.pdf)
4.Proof of current certification, licensure or registration
5.Unofficial transcript(s) (official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired).
6.Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf .
Veterans must submit appropriate documentation as described previously in this vacancy announcement.
If currently employed in the VA system, include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1930013.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.